Friday, March 2, 2018

I know the internet is just about universal  today. Not everyone is on it but most are, so yes, I assume people in Phillipston have internet and can read this blog.

So, if you can find it, and it is on the net, you can find in the selectmen's handbook stating that finance committee/advisory committee are financial watchdogs for the community. I live in Templeton, not Phillipston, so I try to look at things from Templeton perspective.

So, when it is put out that one is a member of both the school committee and a town finance committee, I ask, how can one serve two masters? When the finance committee has a school committee member on board, can that individual make a recommendation to Town Meeting that is unbiased. I believe school committee members should and do always make strong cases for the school, you know, it is all about the kids, but they also have labor contract negotiations, so as a member of the school committee, you vote to agree to a, b and c, you have in essence made a promise to honor and fund those things that can and surely do come from bargaining talks and agreements.

So now, being a member of a town finance committee, you go to Town Meeting and recommend for an override for the school district in order to cover something you have already agreed to and promised. Is or will that individual making a recommendation for an override (increase in taxes) because it is in the best interest of the taxpayers and their money or is it because of the already made promises and agreements made as a school committee member? I just feel appearance sometimes matter and it seems like a very debatable conflict of interest. Same with a former or present individual who is or has been in education for 40 years plus. I understand where their feelings and loyalty may lie, but is that a true independent look and again, recommendation?

It is really no different with the selectmen being on many committees, such as the school building committee. Some communities, selectmen appoint members of the finance or advisory committees and how does it work for someone who is appointed by the same people you should be questioning and challenging on say a budget or expense (s).

Again, sometimes it looks as though some have a problem with information being put forth and sometimes some dislike any debate at all. I believe there has been discussion on and recommendations concerning the makeup of and/or stacking of committees, boards, etc. I also understand that in a small community, these things can happen and probably for a long time. I am merely putting that information out there so when people of Templeton and beyond, see, hear or read that Phillipston finance committee is probably in favor of supporting and or recommending an override, or just funding an increase by whatever means available such as Town savings, etc., they are aware of the connections and makeup of the Phillipston finance committee.

So, do I worry what the people of Phillipston think of me, no I do not. If any Phillipston resident comes to any meeting of any committee, board, etc. where I am involved, I will be respectful, civil and listen. Maybe Templeton taxpayers will vote themselves a tax increase of $1.50 per thousand and call it a day, who knows? But they should know, that it is possible that the Phillipston finance committee is stacked in favor of the school and I say possible, but that is how it appears to me.

It is also possible for the increase in school assessments to the two towns could go down, even late in the game as they did in 2013.




6 comments:

  1. I think I have the same issue with the School Committee woman/ finance member but for a different but similar reason.

    I'm going to say it again here as I said it to DHB last year. According to Templeton Master Plan the people who moved to Templeton stated the number 1 reason was LOW TAXES, NOT schools as the two Realtors promote.
    I'll say this again. If you're a Realtor and you support the school as a elected/appointed official on the bases of " that is what the people want, it improves property values" you might need to sign a disclosure.

    I did appreciate Caplis wrapping things up with his version of "bring the pain". People do need to know that every decision is a trade off of something. I really think the people understand that more is already in store for the tax rolls and we have reached the bottom of the proverbial well. Hard dangerous digging from here. As Dr Casavant referenced in his statements regarding school choice, tides change. We are going to hit some number that is yet to be determined that starts homes being listed, people moving out and another cycle moves through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:57 PM

      For someone who can’t take care of their own town you sure have a lot of ideas for a town that does. Just saying we vote in towns for who we want to represent us ( and we know these folks well ) and I for one consider that woman you speak of on the finance and school and happens to be a successful realtor a brilliant person and am humbled to have speak so eloquently for my town - Phillipston Tax Payer 40+ years

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:18 PM

    Thankful for video and audio that way people can actually listen to people speak or not at these important meetings. I watched this on YouTube TCTV as well and I heard Phillipston finace dept speak about what their thinking was however my internet must have gone down because I heard NOTHING from Templetons finance people . It was like corn brooms were sitting there. I guess the finance committee is only vocal on this here Blog ( “where you go for truth “ ). I found the comments/questions from the school committee relevant and based on facts. Same with the Phillipston Finance Reps . Again, where are all the comments like those today directed at Phillipston during this meeting from the Advisory people like yourself Jeff (I would think would be the format to speak to them - person to person dept to dept )
    But ! Good news is I’m sure that people will see this blog and watch the meeting(s) for themselves
    Im embarrassed to say I live in Templeton at this point. That makes me very sad to say as my family has lived here since the 1890’s. The most important things are to take care of children and the elderly in my minds eye and it seems in reading and watching our towns interactions “we” are failing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon 2:18
      Advisory Board was invited to nominate a member and if you watch the meeting on TCTV you'll see Paul volunteered and represented the Advisory at the meeting.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3:17 PM

      Oh, yes I saw his head in the video. Did Paul bring any questions, concerns or comments ? Seems as though he/board would have prepared for this as it seems that there is a lot that you all have concerns about. Like I said above ( 2:18) would have been the time to speak up correct ? I heard them ask if there were any additional suggestions, concerns. Respectfully

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:33 PM

    The budget allows this district to maintain level services, avoids staffing reductions and protects the educational experience for students. Watch and read the budget for yourselves a good presentation. Templeton taxpayer

    ReplyDelete