Saturday, June 3, 2017

FROM: Carter Terenzini, Town Administrator

RE: Request for Transfer

DATE: May 25, 2017

CC: K. Pontbriand


I write to provide you with the information you need to understand the attached request(s) for a transfer of funds. The Treasurer/Collector has resigned her position. In her absence, we have an obligation to pay the out-of-class compensation due the Deputy Treasure/Collector for covering this absence. We have also had to extend the hours of the Clerk to ensure we had enough staff time to process the work. In addition, we have had to cover the sick leave buy-out due the Treasurer/Collector upon her resignation.

First let me deal with the issue of pay for temporary assignments. Section 8E. of the Personnel Policy provides that:

“When an employee is temporarily assigned to a position with a higher rate of pay for forty (40) or more consecutive work hours, the employee will be compensated at the same rate of pay as the current employee holding that position after the first forty (40) hours and for the remainder of the temporary assignment.”

This requirement puts the T/C Salary account $950.00 short (# 1000-147-100-51-5110-0000). [As an FYI; In addition, we will be asking the BoS to authorize the carry-over of the Deputy’s vacation so that she can stay on the job during this interim staffing shortage.]

Next let me deal with the issue of the account entitled Treas/Collector Clerk wages (# 100-147-100-51-5115-0000). The need of an additional 13 hours per week for the Part-Time Clerk, which still leaves us roughly 20+/- hours a week below normal staffing levels, will leave this account short by some $2,500.00.

This is a total of $3,450 of inflows required. Given there will not be a permanent TA in place prior to July 1, 2017 there will be roughly $5,750 available in the personnel account for transfer by the end of the Fiscal Year. I propose to tap this source.

If we do not infuse the money to cover the temporary assignment, I would have no choice but to put the employee upon vacation. If we do not infuse the money to cover the added Clerk’s hours I would have no choice but to close the office. After a careful review of these and other options various options, I truly cannot see an alternative to this transfer.

posted by Jeff Bennett