Saturday, September 24, 2016

This is an interesting item found on the website of MSBA, under projects for Narragansett regional district. It has the appearance that the district paid for repairs to Phillipston elementary school or at least it looks as thought the district received a reimbursement from MSBA. This is something to look into because it raises the question as to why the district did not do the same thing for Templeton elementary schools. Per the regional agreement, any amount over $5,000.00 in costs puts the repair or work solely on the Town.



school name           MSBA ID            project      Phase         total           rate         MSBA         Total    
                                                            type                            cost                            paid             MSBA
Phillipston Memorial201107200003GGreen RepairFinal Audit Approved$161,23259.84 %$78,095 $81,401






This is worth some phone calls.

posted by Jeff Bennett

4 comments:

  1. My feeling is that the school district was not going to spend a dime they did not have to, to make repairs or fix anything that they could do with out, to make sure it was clear that they just had to have a new school. It is beyond me why the parents let them get away with this. I was told and I do believe Baldwinville School is "a pit" as someone told me. So why didn't the teachers and parents stand up for themselves ?? I understand the need for a new school, but if a small percentage of parents cannot make it financially, and have to leave, then what is the point of a empty school new or old ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you contacted the school to ask what this is? Perhaps then you could share exactly what this means. Why would any department not ask for grant/green funds to help with a project so that the budget would not be used up? We are getting more of a reimbursement from the MSBA due to using green product. I would call that responsible. We should do this as often as we can, meaning grant or reimbursement funds to help defray cost. When I first was elected I went to the town clerks office every day for a week or so to look back as far as I could in the warrants to see what kinds of items had been voted for capital planning. There wasn't much. There were items put forth and they were voted down. I only saw two things that were voted for the school and I believe they were at BES for flooring and some other repairs. I think the school had done what they could with the funds they had for maintenance and not wanting to put more burden on the town. Why would they put the kids as risk .. just so they could have a new building? I don't see that.

    I am not sure what this is, but I am going to find out immediately and I'll post on my own page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The District has done two other projects recently with the MSBA, both of which were Green Repair projects. One was a roof replacement at the Middle School and the other was a boiler replacement at Phillipston. Both projects were invited into the program by the MSBA in 2011. The Middle school project was closed out in 2012 and Phillipston was closed out in 2015.

    I found this is my emails. I will get more information.

    ReplyDelete